Saturday, March 16, 2013

English Translation of “La Petite” by France Gall



“La Petite” by France Gall

Always link back if you repost somewhere else, and comments are appreciated. 
♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ 

MB: How can I not melt when I see “la petite”*
Before her innocent eyes, before her smile
She's been changing for some time now, she's grown, the petite 
Already a woman but yet only a child 

FG: A child! I've seen everything, what does he mean! 
When I think that only yesterday I almost caught you 
Trying to kiss me, while I let it happen
He is not so bad, the friend of my father

Chorus, sung together:
One day the chicks takeoff 
The “petits” become grown, no longer children!
One day the chicks takeoff 
The “petits” become grown, no longer children!

MB: She is as fragile as a flower, so sweet the petite 
When I think that a man could break her heart 
Take advantage of her innocence, touch the petite 
I really want to, despite myself, protect her 

FG: Protect me! Great! Here he goes again 
With a teacher like yourself I'd be lucky 
Obviously I would learn how to do a thousand things 
He is clever, believe me, the friend of my father

(Chorus)

MB: How can I not melt when I see the petite 
FG: Before her innocent eyes, before her smile
MB: She's been changing for some time now, she's grown, the petite 
FG: You for as long as I've known you, you've never changed


*”La petite” means the darling, or dear, but I felt neither did the translation justice as much as leaving it be, since they do not insinuate youth in the same way. 

Overall this is a very, very creepy song that was criticized in its day. It was possibly an attempt by France Gall's father to recapture the success of "Les Sucettes" as her career faltered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

English Translation of "Mon Ego" by M (Matthieu Chedid)

 M (Matthieu Chedid) - Mon Ego Lyrics ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪  Number one, I hold on,  Like a dumb icon With an aluminum loo...