Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Translation of ''Favourite Song'' by Vincent Delerm


Song: Favourite Song
Artist: Vincent Delerm

Always link back if you repost somewhere else, and comments are appreciated.

Blue font indicates phrases that were originally sung in English, and therefore were not translated. 
♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪

I was a fan and I still really am
singing along to my favourite song
greatest thing I've heard
but I didn't get a word

I've heard all the french songs
I don't know what a Javanese* is
A ticket puncher of Lilas**
What does it mean

I studied the booklet and searched for a sign
made up a meaning for every line
and a four letter word
l.o.v.e

I listened while lying on my bed
With time, everything fades away
It's what, a crock***
I never knew

Oh my love
I love you forever
You're gone
Along with my happiness

I was a fan and I still really am
singing along to my favourite song
A wax doll****
What did that mean

♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪
This song is filled with references to other songs:
*Reference to the song, “La Javanaise” (The Javanese)
**This is a reference to “Le Poinçonneur des Lilas”, or, “A Ticket-puncher of the Lilas”, a song by Serge Gainsbourg.
***A crock is a broken down horse, a phrase used in various chansons but not common in normal speech
****Reference to France Gall's “Poupée de cire, poupée de son”

No comments:

Post a Comment

English Translation of "Mon Ego" by M (Matthieu Chedid)

 M (Matthieu Chedid) - Mon Ego Lyrics ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪  Number one, I hold on,  Like a dumb icon With an aluminum loo...